Head Volunteer Gardener
Are you a good organizer with a few hours each week to share your gardening wisdom?
Our group of dedicated volunteers need you!
If interested, contact Sonja Wallen, Buildings Curator at email@example.com or 912.790.8840.
Weekly Activities: 9-11am Monday mornings
- Trimming, espaliered pyracantha; wisteria; scuppernong vine, etc.
- Removing Magnolia leaves from the northside raised bed area
- Watering container plants
- Fertilizing (seasonally)
- Pruning the parterre hedges (seasonally)
- Assessing and addressing any noticed plant abnormalities
- Maintaining a journal of the morning’s activities
Twice Yearly Seasonal Plantings
Plantings occur the first weeks of April and November
- At least 8 weeks prior to the date scheduled for planting, contact Terry Beasley at Oelschig’s Nursery to decide on Spring/Summer or Fall/Winter plantings. Arrange to have them delivered at 8:30am the day of planting.
- Place order with Herb Creek Nursery for pine bark mulch, mushroom compost, pine straw and yard waste paper bags and arrange for Herb Creek’s first delivery the Monday prior to planting when the previous season’s plants will be removed and the soil in the parterre areas conditioned.
- A group of 9-10 additional volunteers assist with these twice-yearly tasks.
- The head volunteer communicates with the larger volunteer group via e-mail 6 weeks ahead of planting to establish a crew for the plant pulls and plantings. A schedule is created with volunteer availability followed up a week prior to each event via e-mail as a reminder.