Telfair Museums’ Teen Council
Members of the Teen Council will help the museum create products and programs specifically designed for teens, often identified as one of the most underrepresented groups at museums. Telfair Museums will select up to 10-20 hard-working, creative teenagers who want to engage with art in their community to participate in the Teen Council.
Examples of activities members will be involved in include:
- Plan, support and promote teen initiatives at the Telfair and within the community
- Design and execute one large project (to be determined by the Teen Council), targeted at teens, that will be made available to the museum’s audience at large
- Gain knowledge and leadership skills by attending and participating in lectures, group discussions, artist workshops and leadership training sessions
- Serve as volunteers assisting with museum classes, public events and community programs
- Explore the professional roles and functions of various museum departments
All interested youth are encouraged to apply. The Teen Council is free and open to the public.
Eligibility and Requirements:
Students must be:
- Between the ages of 14- 18 and high school students during 2013-2014 school year
- Mature, reliable and enthusiastic about art
- Attend twice-monthly meetings
- Commit to nine months of service (September 2013- May 2014)
- Interested in gaining museum knowledge
Applications are due by May 31, 2013
Interested students may apply online ( Students will be required to include a teacher recommendation )
Participants will enjoy:
- Free student membership to Telfair Museums
- Private lectures and talks by museum staff
- Exclusive behind-the-scenes tours of the museum
- Workshops and talks with visiting artists
- Opportunity to create a project that will be made available for the public to view
- Chance to earn 30+ hours of art related community service
- Telfair Museums Teen Advisory Council certificate
For more information, contact Abigail Stevens at email@example.com.
Students must submit a teacher recommendation separately.