Interested applicants should fill out the application and send their resume to: email@example.com
Position: Grant and Communications Writer
Date Written: 9/8/2016
Reports to: Director of Development
Job Classification: Full-Time/Non-Exempt
Job Summary and Key Objectives:
The Development Writer and Grants Manager reports to the Director of Development and is responsible for meeting or exceeding annual revenue goals from corporate, foundation, and government funders to support all programmatic and operational needs of Telfair Museums. The Manager researches, writes, and edits all corporate, foundation, and government grants and proposals. In consultation with the Director of Development, the Director/CEO, and other museum staff, the Manager researches current and potential funders; presents concrete plans for achieving goals; manages the solicitation of new and renewing funders; and works with all museum departments to draft grants and provide appropriate acknowledgment of funding. As well, the Manager oversees all Development Department communication with Telfair members and donors, including writing and editing letters; writing content for the website, monthly eblast, and magazine; building core audience investment in the museum through persuasive and emotional content, as well as other writing and editing as needed.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
- Meet goals for corporate, foundation, and government fundraising by developing strategies for cultivation and solicitation of current and potential donors.
- Work with Director of Development to create master list and pipeline for foundation funding and monthly review of the pipeline.
- Research and identify museum funding needs and potential sources of foundation and government support. Work with curatorial and education departments to create budgets correlating with approved annual museum budget.
- Produce funding proposals and letters of request in coordination with other development staff, museum director, curators, educators, and program coordinators as needed.
- Monitor income reports related to the status of grants. Coordinate and write interim and final reports for all grants.
- Supervise acknowledgment process for foundation and government gifts through letters, reporting mechanisms, and ongoing contact with donors.
- Cultivate relationships with foundation staff to ensure productive and meaningful investment.
- Attend museum programs, openings, and special events to foster relationships with necessary donors and grant makers and to facilitate work of the Development Department.
- Write and edit communication to members, donors, and potential donors through tailored letters, brochure content, etc., related to special events, annual appeals, and special projects.
- Execute other special projects as requested by Museum Director or Director of Development.
Minimum Qualifications and Education:
- This position requires a bachelor’s degree. MFA in writing preferred.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in fundraising for an arts or cultural environment, and experience in foundation and government grant writing is preferred.
- The Manager must be a detail-oriented self-starter and have excellent oral and writing skills, strong organizational abilities, and proficient computer skills.
- Knowledge of fundraising databases (especially Raiser’s Edge and Altru) is an advantage.
- Sitting, standing, extensive use of computer and associated keyboarding, repetitiv