Title: Curatorial/Registration Cataloging Internship – 2017 Academic Year – Summer Semester
Application Deadline: Summer Quarter – March 1, 2017
Department/Location: Curatorial – Jepson Center – Telfair Museums, Savannah, GA
This internship is unpaid. Students are responsible for making arrangements with their schools to receive credit. Telfair Museums does not provide travel, relocation, parking or housing assistance for interns. Internship time commitments vary with a minimum of four (4) hours per week.
Purpose and Goals:
The Telfair Museum of Art is seeking a summer intern to assist with bibliographic data entry for the newly acquired content management system TMS (The Museum System). The intern will primarily work independently to develop the bibliography module in TMS by customizing the data entry fields and cataloging the exhibition catalogs, member magazines, resources located in the onsite library and other materials as time permits. Additionally, s/he will formulate instructions on the usage of the program and preferred data entry terminology for present and future employees to follow. Time permitting, other possible assignments may include: scanning and photographing texts, generating TMS reference labels, and linking object and bibliography records. The Telfair Museum of Art is excited to open this opportunity to creative and attentive individuals seeking museum or library experience. The work you do on the new database will go a long way in assisting the museum in organizing and developing the permanent collection records.
Applicants are required to commit to at least six to eight hours per week. Hours may be adjusted if more hours are needed for school credit. Office hours in the Curatorial department are 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
Candidates applying for internship must:
- Be a rising college junior or senior currently enrolled in a college/university
- Be a graduate student
- Coursework in library science, archives or museum studies are preferred; applicants with backgrounds in art history or history are welcome to apply.
- Must be very independent and a self-starter.
- Highly motivated, good problem solver, and detailed-oriented.
- Ability to clearly communicate verbally and in writing.
- Experience working within a library is preferable
- Must have an interest in collections management
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge of Content Management Systems, TMS (The Museum System) is preferred but not necessary
- Ability to stand or sit for 3-4 hours a day.
- Sitting, bending, stooping, walking, reaching
- Climbing stairs (occasionally)
Students interested in an internship at the Telfair Museums should send the following materials together in one package within the specified deadline. Incomplete application packets will not be considered. Applications or letters of reference received after the due date will not be considered.
- Internship application (available on the website)
- Two letters of recommendations (forms available on website)
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Transcript of undergraduate or graduate records with a minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale. Official and unofficial transcripts are accepted.
- Personal letter explaining your reasons for applying to Telfair Museums’ internship program. The letter should include:
- What you hope to gain from the experience,
- What you feel you can contribute to your chosen department,
- How this internship experience will impact your education and career plans.
Submit Completed Applications To:
Human Resources Manager
P.O. Box 10081
Savannah, GA 31412
In keeping with best practices, Telfair Museums does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications. When you apply, your application/resume will be carefully reviewed in terms of the requirements for the internship position. Applicants identified as the most qualified will be contacted by the department manager for an interview. If you are not notified by the department manager, you will know that we have selected another candidate for the position. Please continue to visit our website for an up-to-date list of employment opportunities.